Now a well-known wine producing area, Polish Hill River was, in the nineteenth century, the site of the largest Polish settlement in Australia.
From the early 1850’s onwards, numbers of Poles migrated to the area. Here they set up a community of more than 300 people at its largest, with its own priest, church and school, the playground language of which was Polish.
Eventually, for a variety of reasons, the numbers dwindled. Today apart from the Sevenhill cemetery and a few ruined houses and sheds the only tangible remains are a church and attached schoolrooms renovated to resemble their former appearance.
Household items used by the Polish Hill pioneers.